Monday, March 26, 2007

Atlas Shrugged...Jen skimmed.

The book club has finished reading Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged... or at least this half of the book club finished the book .... and then outlined the ending to the other book club member.

Here are my thoughts:

1. This is a book that requires not only a little knowledge of the author, but also of the times in which she lived. Once I went back and read a little about the author, I saw the book in a whole new light and could see where the passion was coming from.

2. Speaking of passion, One needs a fire in his belly about capitalism, freedom and oppression of individuals by communism in order to get through this book without skimming a few (long) speeches.

3. It seems timely. We are currently in a situation where we also have given too much control of our destinies and nationalism to one person.

4. It speaks to public responsibility in standing up for what is right and the reprecussions of passively allowing freedoms to be taken away.

Endnote: I recommend it! Well written enough to be like a watching a movie in my head...but I don't have the fire that I needed to entice me to read through 40-60 pages of monologue.

Next: Dubliners by James Joyce... we are in need of some short reads!

No comments: