Sunday, May 27, 2007

Saaaaailing....takes us away to where to hm hm hm, do do do!

This was taken by our instructor for our Saturday double-handed class. This was the first day, yesterday was the last day and it was perfect weather for (now certified) novices like us! Sara and I have have very differents learning styles. Mine is slow and deliberate, I work my way up to risk-taking. Yesterday I spent most of my time with the tiller, learning how to control our speed with sail trim and experimenting with sail trim after pointing a little more off wind or up wind. Sara's learning style is jump in and learn by figuring it out on the fly (albeit, she does it within the scope of safety). The end result? Sara learns REALLY quickly how to manuver the boat, but things can get a little hairy when she has the tiller in hand. I apply what I have learned methodically, trying to perfect one skill before moving on the the next and things can get a little boring when I am at the helm (note: I did NOT say slow! Bite your tongue!). I was impressed with Sara's speed and skill, she was impressed with my speed and precision.

Want to try it out yourself?? If you cannot make it up here to sail with us, as we now can each take a person out in low winds on a 2 person boat, then check out this site!

2 comments:

Anna said...

Ahoy Matey(s)! Okay, I don't even know if that's grammatically correct! But you guys look so cool in your sailboat! Looks like a blast and I'm totally jealous! Perhaps I'll take some lessons on the Bay!

Maya's Granny said...

Thank you for visiting my blog. I like that you know your own learning styles and don't feel that one of you is doing it wrong.