All this talk about food has got me thinking about how to sum up my feelings and practices regarding eating.
I love to eat good food.
Sometimes I love to eat bad food too.
I love food for how it looks, tastes, comes together, where it came from, where it didn't come from, who I am enjoying it with, and the reasons people gather to eat it together. For me, food is positively correlated to joy. When I am depressed and lonely I don't eat...when I am happy and joyful, I put on weight.
I am no supermodel, nor do I want to be. I am outside the social norm for height (short) and weight (portly). But, I can jog a few miles. I can hike into the mountains with my knapsack on my back. I can walk, swing a bat, kick a ball, ride a horse and sail a boat...without wheezing (or losing...beside the point, I know...but I couldn't help it).
And if joy correlates to food, and food can correlate to some joy-induced weight gain...well, as it turns out my special friend likes curves...I think if she could put a "weight loss clause" into our partnership agreement, she would. Bonus for me.
Hm...I guess it continues to be a work in progress, with attitude adjustments made as my physiology changes (and falls apart...maybe I will post the laundry list of injuries I have had to accommodate)
After that rambling, I leave you with the fabulous food I made last night...I should have taken a picture:
- 1 cup of homemade cashew/walnut pesto (made CSA box basil). Cut with about 0.25 c of half and half, pour over 1.5 lbs penne rigate. I topped the pasta with 1 lb peeled and deveined tiger shrimp that had been sauteed in butter with leeks and garlic.
- Romano green beans (from our CSA box), steamed, with a touch of butter, salt and pepper.
- Green salad with butter lettuce, arugula, spinach, a smattering of fennel tips, tomato, and cucumber (all from our CSA box)
- Homemade Green Goddess Dressing (delicious spin off of the Annie's Goddess dressing)
- Pinot Grigio (Pepperwood) and an anonymous Riesling.
We added in some new friends and a documentary night viewing of Word Play....
Talk about joy....