Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Fred the Dog

Over at Weese's place they were enjoying a Hair of the Dog, which got me thinking about my favorite, Hair of the Dog brew, Fred. My favorite because not only is it a delicious beer (with a very high alcohol content) but because I choose it (so long ago) because at the time, I had a dog named Fred the Dog. He was perfect. I still miss him, 6 years gone.

My college roommates and I adopted Fred the Dog from a lady long distance trucker who picks up abandoned dogs from along the highway and at rest stops as well as pound rescues. She built a building on her property with fenced runs, heated cement floors and food storage. She lets all the dogs in the house for a while to see if they are potty trained (this thought makes me a bit squeamish). She has them vaccinated, spayed or neutered and only asks for a loving home and a donation you can afford it. That was 16 years ago and she is still going strong and modestly networked now.

" ...a bit of a leaner and a wet-mouth" she told us. The drool was gross and he was premeditatively sneaky about it...Step one: Look happily at your person. Step two: Sidle up, gazing into your persons eyes with glee on your face. Step three: Look down abashedly, quickly and gently wiping the drool onto their pant leg/arm/boob...whatever is closest. The leaning I miss.

Fred the Dog was actually just called Fred when we got him. However, my mother had a beloved cockatiel named Fred, thus the distinction had to be made and he was mine from the start. It was clear.

I cannot list all the ways he was perfect. The general things ways were... he didn't jump, bite, lick, bark or growl. He came when he was called, he did tricks, he loved to be brushed, he left the room if we were eating, he didn't want to sleep on the bed, he stuck to the trail, he had an incredible memory, he was patient and forgiving with puppies, cats and children, he let me dress him up....he greeted me at the door EVERY DAY for ten years. Every day. And coming in the door after having put him down was the saddest moment of my life.

He ruined me. I don't want another dog. I want Fred. (or Tinker, but she will have to be another post). So, until I am over that... I love ALL of your dogs, Bhu, The Free Dog, The PNW Shiba Inu, The sorta Beagles, the naughty posse of dogs, and the adorable suburban dog. I smile when you post about them. And sometimes I get a little weepy remembering all the fun, warmth and devotion that was around when Fred the Dog was here with me too.

So, drink your next beer to the dog in your life and in the lives of the ones you love!


2 comments:

ZenKayaker said...

Man, what a heartfelt tribute. Fred sounds like one of a kind.

Sumi woofs hello and says Fred rocked, too. :)

~Lachlan

Jen said...

Thanks to you and Sumi!