Sunday, October 07, 2007

Yum Yum Yum

Last night I made creamed corn. I know, this doesn't sound like all that big of a deal, but my only previous creamed corn experience was the slop that comes out of the can...which was sugary, paste-like and over done (apologies to those who enjoy, you all can give me a hard time for liking Spam later).

It turned out Fan-freakin'-tastic! I used a recipe without cream. Briefly made a roux, adding white pepper, black pepper, ground garlic and sea salt. Then added soy milk and fresh corn (uncooked, not blanched, just straight of the cob) and diluted it with water until it reached the right consistency and simmered until the corn was cooked but still crisp. Put it into ramekins, sprinkled with Parmesan and popped it under the broiler for a couple minutes.

We also had some sauteed fennel bulbs, leeks and kale (I love greens), a baked potato and leetle bit of steak.

Tonight we are going to try making Gnocchi (over which we will put our homemade cashew pesto)...I am sure I will not be able to resist telling all y'all about it!

Halftime over, back to the game! Go 'Hawks!

No comments: