Monday, June 16, 2008

Paranoia reinforced...

When I started work in my new lab 2 years ago, I had to go through radiation safety training again... different university, different guidelines.

What I came away with had nothing to do with the materials I handled in lab...what stuck with me the most was the off-handed suggestion, by the radiation safety guy, to not put your cell phone to your ear or in your pocket by your gonads. He had his cell phone carefully attached to his belt, over his love handle and a corded ear-piece to use for long calls.

His feeling is that radiation (even non-ionizing radiation) is still radiation and caution won't hurt.

This holds true for pressing your face up against the glass on the microwave and holding your radar gun between your legs...neither are recommended. And a recent article also reveals other folks being cautious...Its worth a read.

Unfortunately, hard data is difficult to collect regarding things that increase your personal risk...as the increased risk may be slight and as individuals, our susceptibilities vary.

With so much wireless communication technology zipping around us (me, as I type) its easy to forget that this is still a relatively new technology and we haven't see the effects over a lifetime yet.

Just something to keep in mind...or to keep your mind?

1 comment:

SassyFemme said...

I know I should use the headpiece, I just hate it though. It's so much harder to hear, and such an annoyance to use.