Sunday, July 20, 2008

Backpacking...finally.


We made it out into the wilderness this weekend, after several failed attempts to find time to go...and what a treat it was! We hopped the ferry after work to head over to the Olympic Peninsula. The getting to, waiting in line at and riding on the ferry made our trip twice as long as we thought it would be ...

...but the trail had a camp available just a mile in. So despite getting to the trail head at 7:30pm, we still had time to set up camp, cook, build a fire and hang our food before we had to dig around for the headlamps.

Saturday, we continued down the trail, set up camp and explored.

Sara fished, we did some more hiking....it was bliss.

There was one hiccup...late Saturday 4 teenage boys came into our camp and seemed to think they were going to share camp with us. Sara told them there was another empty camp just 15 minutes up the trail, and they took off again. But being that we aren't super familiar with forest etiquette so close to a dense urban area, and remembering why we went into the woods with our friends when we were 17, we decided we weren't convinced they weren't going to come back to 'hang out' with us. That said, we decided to pack up camp and head back the way we came to a more secluded and comfortable spot. We are pros at camp tear down and set up. And ended up being delighted with the site and how short our hike out was on the day out.

Honestly, we were probably being overly cautious, but it made for a good story and an easy day today.

P.S. I didn't see a single bear...but the rest of the photos are here.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Maya said...

Sounds great. I miss being able to hop the ferry to the Olympic Peninsula like that. Did you catch any fishies?

sara said...

Yes, I caught one on my second cast!! I hadn't even brought my net over because I didn't think I'd actually catch anything. He was too little though. I threw him back.

SassyFemme said...

What beautiful country!

Even if I were to enjoy camping, which I don't think you could pay me to do, I'd probably freak at just being two people alone in the woods. Of course I also have an overactive imagination. LOL

Jessica said...

Wow! That fishing shot is straight out of A River Runs Through It. SWEET! Way to make your Maine friends jealous! The rest of the photos are fantastic! Someone has a good eye.

Syd said...

I'm overly cautious in such situations, so I'd have done the same thing. Plus, I'd have had a .38 snub nose revolver in my pocket.

sageweb said...

Oh that looks and sounds wonderful.. I love that area up there. It is nice to be able to find secluded spots to camp.

Jen said...

sf - I definitely feel safer the more secluded it is. It is gorgeous out here!

Jess - Hm...jealous, you say? The lovely PNW fishing is not out of reach for you....hint, hint.

Syd - I have a big knife I carry, but no gun, which is probably good since I haven't ever held one.

Sage - It was our first time on the Oly Penn, we are looking forward to seeing more of it!

Maya said...

So Jenn can change a tire in 18 minutes flat, but Sara can catch a fish on her second cast. I must admit, you are a talented couple...

weese said...

looks enchanting (tho I would have wanted Syd with me)