Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Guest post: My brother (aka: Bra)

My brother and his dog, Otto, went camping this weekend too...here is a portion of his tale of their weekend.

I eventually fell asleep, but was awakened by what I thought was the sound of rain drops falling on the tent. Blurry eyed, unbespectacled, and blinded by my upside-down headlamp I yanked the rainfly out of my pillow sack, unzipped the tent, put my flip flops on the wrong feet, hauled myself to my feet, and nearly fell over staggering with the unexpected change of altitude and stiff unresponsive legs. By the time I regained my balance I couldn't remember why I was awake. There was no rain, I observed, so what I heard was probably some acorns, or maybe I had dreamed the noise.

I flopped back in the tent and fell back asleep just long enough for it to start raining. I repeated the drill and got the fly on in no time flat. It wasn't until I was back under the vestibule trying to get the roof vent propped open that I noticed the stupid thing was on inside out. I hope the sound of the rain muffled my curses enough to keep Otto from picking up any of my uncharacteristically foul language. At that point the outside of the fly was already wet, and I groggily calculated that reversing the fly would get the tent damper than risking whatever wetness would leak through the flapless zippers and inside out vent. After that the sound of the rain masked the sound of the critters and breaking twigs and the rainfly restricted our view so both Otto and I slept more comfortably, but I still had scary dreams about tents, and being in tents, and not being able to get out of tents, and things coming into tents, and stuff happening outside of tents, and tents just plain not working the way they are supposed to.
We are practically twins....aren't we. Except that he is a little bit nerdy.

8 comments:

sageweb said...

HA cute story..and you are both from the same apple..or something like that. The dog is so adorable!..

LostInCO said...

I can totally see this happening to me!

Nick said...

Hey sister (aka: Sas), just so everyone knows, leaving the rain fly off was YOUR idea, you know, "for better meteor viewing."

Jen said...

Bra - its true. We also did the midnight rain-fly hustle...and by 'we' I mean 'me'. However I did manage to get in on the correct way. Gee, it must be my absolutely perfect and superior vision...too bad for you...that's the way the genes sort!

Sage - We have fallen from the same nerdy tree...except his mother was tall and mine was short...which explains why I am bossier than he is.

Lost - I bet you would have put the rainfly on BEFORE you went to bed...

Maya said...

Love the post. We've gone camping the last 3 summers with Chloe. This summer, with Chloe AND Justin, we haven't gone yet. I've been afraid of the lack of sleep factor that would likely happen for us. But we may just need to brave it anyway before the summer is over. I want my kids to grow up loving the outdoors. I think we'll just put the rain fly on from the start...

Jen said...

MayaSoeur - Just wait another 5 or 6 years and Sara and I will take them!

Maya said...

Okay! It's a deal. They'd love it (and so would I)
xox

frank said...

If you'd called and asked me if you should put on the rain fly I would have told you to do it before you went to bed so this wouldn't happen!
Dad