Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Brew, Baby, Brew!


Sara has brewed like never before!

We currently have five different homebrews gracing our fridge (and cupboards, and shelves and storage locker and where ever we can find a space)!

So, whats on tap?

14 Gifts IPA (2007 "Vintage"...we just found it in the basement leftover from last year)
7 Gifts IPA (2008 The Recession Recipe)
Apple Mas Cervesa (brewed with Cornus Mas berries , commonly known as the Cornelian Dogwood Cherry and a gallon of organic Apple Cider)
Thanks Jimmy! Nut Brown (a shout out to our 39th president who made home brewing legal by signing bill in Fe-brew-ary of 1979.)
Okole maluna Coconut Porter (wanna hang loose on da beach wit'a brew?)

All this talk about beer, reminds me...we have some football to watch! Who's in for Church of the Sunday Afternoon Football?????

12 comments:

cindy lund said...

You are welcome to store some in our fridge :)

Nulaanne said...

Football football

Meaner Dog said...

I'm curious. How long does it take to brew? Does your kitchen look like a lab? Does it put off an odor in the house? Are these Sara's recipes, or someone elses? It would be fun to sample.

Syd said...

I'd totally be there if I could. AND, I'd drink your beer.

Jen said...

Dr. Cin - When is your housewarming...beer might be a nice HW gift....
N - Woot!
Mdog - Time in the kitchen is maybe 4-5 hours total, fermentation is 3day to a week, then she transfers it to a clean carboy and lets it settle for a week in the cool basement before bottling. Brewing is a wee bit smelly, but its like a signal to other brewers...they appear out of nowhere and the smell dissipates quickly. Its no more complicated than canning, really. No lab-like tubes or anything as bathtub gin is still illegal (I think). Sara gets most of her recipes from her brew books or the internet, then (like any good cook) modifies as she goes.

Jen said...

Syd - I am looking forward to a very civilized beer tasting party in our future.

koen said...

I would love to worship at the Church of the Sunday Afternoon Football! Right now we have our services at home and subject unsuspecting visitors with our braying and lamenting. Too bad you live so far away!

roro said...

That homebrew sounds just right to me - and that's not just my morning Bailey's talking. Kate says she'll be there for football.

Jen said...

Koen - I am sure our paths will cross someday, we are in PDX often.

roro - Have Kate pick up some VooDoo donuts on the way...wait, that is too far south. Nevermind, just tell her to bring funny.

LostInColor said...

I'm in for some football!!

sageweb said...

The beer sounds nice...I just had a sip of homemade beer this weekend. I am not much of a drinker but I liked it. I did get naked and dance around..but I do that sober.

Leo MacCool said...

oh i'm thirsty now! beer & football sounds so much better than caffeine & work. and your recipes sound amazing.