Friday, October 17, 2008

Meme

No, I don't have one to share... but I just have put in my two cents about the word itself.... because it all started with a scientist as some of you may know already!

Back in my young and impressionable years as an undergrad, we had to read 'The Selfish Gene' by Richard Dawkins. It was like my eyes opened for the first time, I couldn't get enough of the postulating. And it was in this book the concept of a meme was first introduced. He used the term 'meme' to describe how evolutionary principles could explain the spread of ideas and cultural phenomena.

A meme (pronounced /miːm/)consists of any idea or behavior that can pass from one person to another by learning or imitation. Examples include thoughts, ideas, theories, gestures, practices, fashions, habits, songs, and dances. Memes propagate themselves and can move through the cultural sociosphere in a manner similar to the contagious behavior of a virus.

Its delightful that the word he created to describe virus' like spread of ideas has spread like a virus over the internet....no accident, I'm sure.

I might have to read it again now.... see if it lights the same fires it once did!

5 comments:

Meaner Dog said...

OK, so meme rhymes with "seem"?
I'm a total doo*fuss when it comes to pronouncing new words. :)

LostInColor said...

oh how cool.

SassyFemme said...

Fascinating... but he pronounced it wrong. Meh-m. ;)

sageweb said...

I think you pronounce it like ME ME..it all about me
I am more fascinated that you know this information about the scientist dude.

Syd said...

well, now. That's just cool as shit.

But, I will continue pronouncing it the same way Sassy does.