Sunday, July 19, 2009

All night long...

Let me start off by reminding you all...I am a nerd...

and, until last Friday, I had never stayed up all night.

Sure, I have not slept much before or only dozed while flying the red eye or just slept a few hours so I could cram before a test....but never just stayed up/went out/had fun all night.

So Friday, when we found ourselves still awake at midnight, Sara posed the question. "Wanna just stay up?" And I think "Heck YEAH! How cool would THAT be!!!?"...but knowing how uncool it would be for me to actually say that, I say "yes. yes, I do."

We started by figuring out 1) where we would go watch the sunrise, 2) what time the sun rose, 3) where we could go for breakfast that was open 24 hours and 4) (because we are lesbians) what time Home Depot opened on Saturday.

After the research, I we finished the drip irrigation for our deck. This project was complete genius. Really. I am not bragging.

We have no pets. We have no kids. We have a condo. We have one resilient houseplant. We are carefree and frequently travel on the weekends... BUT we like to have flowers on our deck. Hence, in a moment of brilliance, we devised the Bucket drip system. Photos of the project are here. You will likely be jealous. Just a warning.

So, We are now set up to water the deck as often as we need in summer and use our kitchen gray water to do it (filtered, of course).

But the night continued on! We cleaned house and I cut Sara's hair. Then headed out to Beth's cafe for breakfast. I have never seen so many drunk people having breakfast at 3:30am in my life...apparently, I have always gone to bed too early.

Then drove over to Louisa Boren Park to watch the sunrise over Lake Washington.



It was funny...the one time we stay up all night and go to THIS park to take pictures of the sunrise...another lesbian couple shows up to take pictures of the sunrise. What are the odds?

Ok, in Seattle...those odds are probably 1 in 10.



We capped the night/morning off with a trip to Home Depot (the first to arrive), then came home and napped for 3 hours before I had to go into work.

It was such fun. And we got SO much done! AND our weekend has seemed so long!

I have tried to convince Sara that we should do this EVERY weekend...for some reason, she's not buying...

14 comments:

PixieFlute said...

That's one of those things that's cooler in theory than reality for me. I can't make it past midnight, and even then I'm next to worthless the next day w/o at least 6-7 hours of sleep.

Zoe said...

It's been a while since we've done anything like stay up all night together. I'm up all night every Weds. trying to get meet my BlogHer deadline, but that's different.

The drip irrigation is pretty brilliant, and I love that you are using gray water. I will never understand why there isn't a push in this country for gray water reclamation.

frank said...

As a life long stay-up-all-night person I find it interesting that one gets such a resurgence of energy once you get past the time you usually go to sleep. For me, if I get past midnight I'm full of zip until about 5am when the sleep urge sets in again. And yes you get so much done when you don't sleep. It is one of the advantages of functional bipolar people, they work night and day. The new drug Provigil is supposed to allow one to work well without sleep.
You two do have fun!

sageweb said...

I stayed up plenty of nights, with the help of drugs. I now prefer my sleep. Why is there no pictures of Sara getting her haircut??

weese said...

yeah yeah...you stayed up... now about that drip system.
i love it - but you knew i would.
i was actually all excited about using our dehumidfier water for the plants this year, as this is the first year i am not piping it down a drain. (long story) so here i am all excited with my 5 gallon bucket filling up every morning... and ... its raining every day. o well.

might i suggest a decorative basket to put your bucket in to make it more attractive.

Emphatik said...

You ladies sure do know how to have a good time, and on a school night!!! I miss you tons and tons. At least the rain here reminds me of you and our fair city.
Hugs!

Jen said...

Pix - We took a couple of naps on Saturday...that helped!

Zoe - yeah, up to meet deadlines doesn't really count as fun. Recycling some of our gray water makes us feel superior!

Dad - I totally got a second wind around 3pm or so...but it only carried me through until 6:30!

Sage - No haircut pictures because there was no one there to take them...maybe we will do a picture break next time.

Weese - I already have plans for a decorative filter-top bucket cozy!

Em - When did the east coast become more rainy than the west? Oh, right. Every summer! Ha!

e said...

Great drip system! You're right ~ I'm jealous. I gave up on porch flowers cuz I was tired of carrying water. I may have to rethink that.

As far as staying up all night; oof. I can do it, but I rarely feel compelled... glad you enjoyed it so much! And, first at the Depot!

Grumpy Granny said...

Hi, Ladies! Thanks for your comments on my blog. Love the sunrise pics. When G and I first got together, one night we couldn't sleep and ended up going for a walk in the neighborhood at 3 a.m. Haven't done that in a while...maybe we should!

Cheers!

GG

LilliGirl said...

Awesome night! I can't see the pics at work but will be sure to check them out. I made myself a rain barrell this year and painted it to be pretty. Mybe I'll get some pics up on that one. :)

Wanna see the haircut too!

e said...

Jen, your comment on Syd's blog made me LOL! It reminded me of a time when my bff was going on and on about some (non)drama in her life and asked my advice. I said, "I don't know what to tell you about all that, but right now you're sitting in dog poop so you'd better move."
Aint life GRAND! : - )

tysgirl said...

The last time I stayed up all night I was high on Fentanyl and I'll be damned if I didn't end up with a baby!

One time, before the baby, Ty and I took our dog and went to watch a meteor shower. Afterward we needed breakfast but didn't want to leave the dog in the car so we hit the drive thru at McD's. We ordered Sammy her own egg mcmuffin and a large glass of water. That was one of the best nights ever.

J at www.jellyjules.com said...

And here I thought Home Depot was open 24 hours a day. I don't know why I thought that, I just did.

Using gray water in Seattle? I thought you had too much water most of the time? Just a naive Californian concept, I suppose, we of perpetual drought.

Nick said...

Arrrgh! That looks JUST like the homemade rain barrel I tried putting together, but smaller and better built. Now no one will believe me that it was an original idea if I ever get around to sawing off the existing drain pipe and getting it set up.