Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Happy Anniversary

I should blog an explanation for being absent, but it will have to wait until later.

September 12th marks one year since Sara and I became domesticated. Which makes this our one year domestication anniversary, I believe.

Being together now for 4+ years, we have other dates we celebrate (read: frequently forget to celebrate) but this one was our public acknowledgment that we both want to be together for the rest of our lives, and bears a unique significance.

There are a lot of not-so-great things in the news these days. Efforts are underway to eliminate domestic partnership rights in Washington state. This makes me both scared and angry. DOMA is still in place, as is DADT. My hopes for federal rights are fading...but still there.

Fundamentally, I know we will get there. Its a slow moving train, but its moving.

But, today is special because of Sara.

My heart had no way of knowing how compatible we actually would be... and even now, I continue to be delighted by her. Her strength and wit are amazing. And, I have never been so much myself as I am now.

And I have never been so happy. Every day we laugh. Each week is a new adventure. We have explored new ideas together. Had amazing travels together. Suffered some sadness together. We bought a Cuisinart, a washer and dryer and a car together.

We have made new friends, watched good friends move away and continued to hold our old friends close. We have shared time with family. And we have relished our time alone.

These years with Sara have been easy and fun. I truly cannot wait to see more unfold.

So, Please do me the honor of raising your glass with me... to toast Sara, the love of my life!

Sara, When it comes to telling you what you mean to me, I am frequently at a loss for words (People who know me will find that unusual). But words cannot describe how fundamental and innate being with you feels...you are a part of me.

Its like we are two trees with our roots grafted and our branches intertwined. Sharing disease, and weathering the storms together. Being safe harbor for small woodland creatures and parasitic clumps of mistletoe. Sure, we would survive on our own, but the health of one tree would be severely compromised if the other was removed. Moreover, the tree left would look weird and lop-sided.

Yes. Without you, I would be lop-sided and probably weird.

So, Sara, thank you being fun. For being strong and sweet. For being kind, determined, caring, conscientious and witty. Thank you for being an adventurer, a home-body, a dare devil and a safety maven.

Thank you for being you.

And thank you for being you with me.

9 comments:

Amanda R. said...

Awwww. Happy anniversary, ladies!!

weese said...

happy anniversary!

frank said...

Happy Anniversary! Beautiful sentiment and one we've sensed when we've been with both of you this last year.

sageweb said...

Ohhh you are so sweet...Happy Anniversary.

Zoe said...

I love reading the mushiness happiness of others. Happy Anniversary!

sara said...

I don't deserve you. Right back at you. Especially about being lopsided should one of us get butt rot and fall over.

Maya said...

Jenn, all that you write here rings true. I have never seen you so happy, so complete, so you - as since you and Sara have been together. Sara, you are all that Jennifer says you are, and I love having you in our family. It is rare to see 2 people so meant to be together as the two of you are. It is a joy to witness.
xoxox

LilliGirl said...

Happy Anniversary! It's good stuff and I am so glad you found what so many ae hoping for. :)

roro said...

Such a sweet post! Happy Anniversary to you two lovely ladies. I think my favourite part was when you put your words of love into tree-language so that Sara could understand. SO CUTE. We're raising our glasses to you right now!!